Wednesday, November 10, 2010

National Diabetes Months This Affect Our RACE!

As many of you know I'm a diabetic living with this disease. This disease has been a mind altering... there are some days I really feel like my old self. Then there are days where I know the disease is trying to get the best of me! I was diagnosed in November of 2007.  I'm a type II for many of you that don't what type II is I found the best web definition that explain it....Diabetes mellitus type 2 or type 2 diabetes (formerly called non -insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus (NIDDM), or adult-onset diabetes) is a disorder that is characterized by high blood glucose in the context of insulin resistance and relative insulin deficiency.

Another definition found on the web explain it perfectly for me I would like to share  it with you....people with diabetes have problems changing food into energy. The body makes insulin to help change glucose (sugar) into energy. Type 2 diabetes usually starts with the muscle, liver, and fat cells not using insulin in the right way....!  African Americans are affected more so by this disease than any other race people. Many times because they do not make the life style change that needed. Also many African Americana's don't have the necessary skill set to make the life style change in time. It affect the African American population and many of our brother's and sister's needlessly, and too name a few I've lost my Uncle Harold, and Ruebin, also my Aunt Valerie and Florence, this also include my lovely Grandmother Viola Johns. My Aunts and Uncle lost their limps to this diseases so it important to pay attention to this disease because it deadly!

According to ADA (American Diabetic Association) compared to the general population, African Americans are disproportionately affected by diabetes the data listed below explain how we are affected:

•3.7 million, or 14.7 percent of all African Americans aged 20 years or older have diabetes

•African Americans are 1.8 times more likely to have diabetes as non Hispanic whites

•25 percent of African Americans between the ages of 65 and 74 have diabetes

•1 in 4 African American women over 55 years of age has diabetes

Alone with been more affected it damage body part's you can lose your eye sight, legs, hands, fingers and toe's! Can we afford to change our life style "YES WE CAN" The ADA provide a web site that give out general knowledge on how to live longer by eating healthy! It took me a long time to understand this really can kill me if I don't change the way I eat. My brother has been an inspiration to me, he change his life style on a dime....I want to be around for my grandchildren and I want them to know now I did it for them.....! Wednesday's will be my National Awareness Day through out the year for sharing recipe's, my weight loss and facts pertaining to changing your lifestyle. I need to lose 100 pounds and with the help of the ADA I going to do it.....!

This month is thankgiving I will be sharing photo's of healthy meal's not only from website also from meal's that I make along with pictures from my brother's lunches and dinners he cooks.....we are going to be saving lives by sharing information....here's to living healthy! Get up and move so you can lose! I would also like to share that Anthony Anderson and Angie Stone was feature in this week "blogtalkradio" Film Festival hosted information pertaining to the "National Diabetes Month" here's the link for the show!

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/film-festival-radio-/2010/11/09/actor-anthony-anderson-recording-artst-angie-stone
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pages

Search This Blog